FLEXIBLE SIGMOIDOSCOPY PREPARATION
For printed instruction:
Please read and follow these instructions carefully so the examination will be successful.
- The day prior to the procedure you will need to prep which will cause diarrhea.
- If a biopsy is taken at the time of your procedure a follow up appointment with your physician may be required.
- You must have a representative (driver) with you prior to the start of the procedure and that individual must remain in the waiting room until you are ready to be discharged.
- The sedation can cause amnesia so this person may need to witness some or all of the post procedure discussion to be able to provide direction to you when you return home.
- Please wear loose fitting comfortable clothing the day of the procedure.
- You will be able to resume normal activities the day after the procedure unless otherwise instructed. We have reserved this time for you; if you must cancel notify the office at least 48 hours prior to your appointment time in order to avoid additional charges.
Remember you must have someone to drive you home - this can not be a taxi or bus unless there is a known responsible adult to accompany you.
On day prior to procedure follow the instructions below.
Shopping List: Fleets enema or generic enema x2, Dulcolax or generic tablets x4
- After 3pm you will be allowed clear liquids only (water, tea, coffee, broth, apple/white grape juice, jell-o, Gatorade, soda, and popsicles). No red liquids (other colors are OK). No solid foods.
- After 4pm take 4 Dulcolax (or generic) tablets with 8 ounces of a clear liquid of your choice.
- Be sure to continue to frequently drink clear liquids the rest of the evening to keep you hydrated.
On day of procedure follow the instructions below.
- Do NOT drink anything 4 hours prior to your procedure arrival time.
**Please note if you drink any liquids within the 4 hour window your procedure will be cancelled or delayed.**
- Use one of the Fleets (or generic) enema at home. After 15-30 minutes follow with the second Fleets (or generic) enema per rectum at home.
Pre Procedure Medication Instructions
Heart, Blood Pressure and other medications
- If you take any heart or blood pressure medication please make sure your doctor is aware of this.
- Do not take oral diabetic agents, insulin, diuretics (Lasix, HCTZ), vitamins or supplements the morning of your procedure.
- You should take any other medications with a small sip of water at 6am the day of your procedure unless instructed otherwise below.
- Remain on Aspirin unless specifically instructed otherwise below.
- If you take blood thinners you may be at an increased risk of bleeding if a biopsy is taken.
- The risk of stopping your blood thinner must be individualized.
- If you had a stent placement within the past 12 months or a history of TIA's, talk to your physician before stopping these medications.
- Please remind staff at the endoscopy unit that you are taking blood thinners.
If you are diabetic we will do our best to schedule your procedure in the morning.
- On the day prior to your procedure, you will need to only take one half (1/2) of your morning and evening dose of diabetic medication.
- On the day of your procedure do not take your morning dose.
- Once the procedure has been completed and you have eaten a meal you will need to take one half (1/2) of your morning dosage.
- Resume your normal dosage regimen after this.
Do not smoke on the day of your procedure.
About Your Bill
We are pleased that you have chosen us to provide your medical care. It is our desire to provide you with the highest quality medical care possible. Therefore, we would like to make you aware of the following information.
IF YOU HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE
We will file all claims on your behalf. We will request that payment from your insurance company be sent directly to our office. It is your responsibility to know and understand the benefits provided by your insurance coverage for the procedures that are to be performed.
A statement will be mailed to you if there is an additional amount due from you after your insurance company has processed your claim. If your prepaid amount results in a credit balance, you will receive a timely refund from us.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE
A deposit of 50% of the estimated charges will be collected from you. This amount is due no less than two days prior to your scheduled appointment.
Please remit this payment to avoid any delays in your procedure. Payment of the balance is due 14 days after your procedure. If you need to make special arrangements for payment of your procedure, you must call our billing office at 239-772-3636 option 5.